With humble beginnings in 1897, what was then Edwards Funeral Home began five blocks from the current location. Founded originally by Lon Edwards, it was as most funeral homes of that era, simply a supplier for coffins and simple funeral necessities. As times, techniques and society evolved so did Edwards Funeral Home.
It was Lynn Warren Edwards, son of Lon Edwards, that ushered the business into the twentieth century and saw a more modernization and addition of services to the funeral establishment. It was during his tenure that the business was located to its second site on Greene Street, very near where Wachovia Bank sits today, to its present day location on NW Third Street in 1945
Lynn Warren Edwards and his second wife, Nancy Dawson Edwards, acquired the 1923 constructed Carraway Home to allow for a nicer and larger facility. They both remained active in the business, Mr. Edwards until his death in 1973 and Mrs. Edwards until the late 1990's was a fixture at most visitations and services until her health began to decline.
In the 1960's, Mrs. Edwards' son, John L. Taylor, returned from the US Air Force and assumed a role in the business. In 1976 a chapel was added to the facilities and in 1984 the name was changed to Taylor-Edwards Funeral Home. He owned and actively managed the firm until the mid 1990's. Mr. Taylor still serves on a part-time basis presently.
In 1998 a clear and concise plan of succession and ownership was entered into to ensure what was then Taylor-Edwards Funeral Home would remain independently and locally owned. Greene County native, Jody Tyson, had begun working at the establishment during high school. He continued his secondary education at Fayetteville Technical's Funeral Service Education Program and his undergraduate studies at Mount Olive College. In 1998, Jody became a partner in the establishment along with Johnny Taylor who had worked with his father in the business since the late 1970's. Johnny also completed his secondary education at Fayetteville Technical's Funeral Service Education Program.
In 2004, to more accurately reflect the ownership, the name was changed to Taylor-Tyson Funeral Service. Today, Jody and Johnny actively operate the funeral home along with a dedicated staff of part-time associates.
The small town values, traditions, and roots of which they have been raised in the heart of eastern North Carolina's tobacco country is ever present and steadfast today under the leadership of both Jody and Johnny.
It is the intention of Taylor-Tyson Funeral Service to serve each family
to the best of its abilities and truly be an exemplary mark of its motto
"A Growing Tradition of Excellence and Dedication".